Submitted by member Kati Bemowski.
The contrasting richness of this dish of baked fish, potatoes and roasted chili-garlic salsa served with fresh and crunchy jicama salad is typical of Mexico's bold and flavorful dishes--it's great because it's so simple. You can use a variety of firm white fish fillets--whatever's available--and if you're really pressed for time, you could buy a good quality salsa from the refrigerated or deli section of the supermarket and mix it with plenty of chopped fresh cilantro.
4 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 large (1 oz.) jalape–o chiles
1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold or baking potatoes, scrubbed and cut into
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 can (28 oz.) whole plum tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 (4 to 5 oz. each) boneless, skinless fish fillets (snapper, grouper,
halibut, mahimahi or sea bass)
1 small (1 lb.) jicama, peeled
1 small (8 oz.) seedless cucumber, unpeeled
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oven to 400ˇF. Arrange garlic and chiles in small, heavy skillet.
Cook 10 to 12 minutes over medium heat, turning occasionally, until softened and evenly charred. Cool.
2. Meanwhile, combine potatoes, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a shallow 3-quart glass baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap, turning back one corner to vent. Microwave on High until potatoes are fork-tender, 12 minutes.
3. While potatoes are cooking, remove stems from chiles and peel garlic.
Process chiles, garlic and 3/4 teaspoon salt in food processor, scraping sides of bowl, until finely chopped. Add tomatoes and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer to bowl; stir in onion and cilantro.
4. Uncover potatoes and top with fish; sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt over fillets. Spoon salsa over fish. Bake 20 minutes until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
5. Make Jicama Slaw: While fish bakes, cut jicama into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then cut slices crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
Repeat process with cucumber. Whisk together olive oil, lime juice and salt in large bowl.
Add jicama, cucumber strips and cilantro, tossing to coat.
6. Divide potatoes and fish among 4 serving plates.
Serve with Jicama Slaw.
Makes 4 servings.
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 1,525 mg
Protein 33 g
Calcium 139 mg